Signs of aging are usually first seen as changes in skin quality over the years. As time passes, skin gradually begins to lose its youthful elasticity and volume, becoming thinner, looser, and increasingly lined and wrinkled. Depleting collagen levels also dry out the skin, causing it to become rougher in texture. While aging itself cannot be stopped, the right anti-aging treatments can slow its effects. Revitalizing skin care treatments can restore a more attractive and youthful appearance and help you maintain even, smooth skin for as long as possible.
Common Aging Concerns
Common signs of aging skin include:
Fine lines and wrinkles
Years of making facial expressions eventually lead to dynamic wrinkles in the skin, such as those at the corners of the eyes. Age-related loss of skin elasticity causes sagging and static wrinkles, such as those that form around the mouth and nose.
Age-related loss of skin elasticity and the effects of gravity can cause severe tissue laxity, which manifests as deep creases in the skin. A common example is the nasolabial folds (lines from the nose to the corners of the mouth).
Aging causes the gradual depletion of collagen and elastin in the skin. This manifests in gradually thinning skin, facial volume loss, and the skin to develop a thin, papery look.
Age-related depletion of elastin levels and the effects of gravity cause the skin to sag over time. Facial jowls and loose neck tissue are tell-tale signs of age-related skin sagging.
Rough skin texture
Your skin becomes drier as you age. This causes the skin to develop a rougher texture that requires more frequent application of lotion.
Increasingly dry skin
Because your skin becomes drier as you age, your skin requires more attentive care to keep it soft, moisturized, and hydrated.
A variety of treatments can slow and even reverse the effects of aging. With attentive care and appropriate treatment, you can reduce the signs of aging and keep your skin youthful and rejuvenated. Skin care treatments for aging skin include:
- Neuromodulators: Facial injectable neuromodulators block certain small muscle movements in the upper face so that the forehead and eye area lie smooth and wrinkle-free. BOTOX® Cosmetic or Dysport® treatments administered every 4 to 6 months can smooth out wrinkles and slow the development of permanent lines like furrowed brows, forehead lines, and crow’s feet wrinkles.
- Fillers: Facial injectable fillers enhance skin volume and minimize fine lines, wrinkles, creases, and sagging skin in the lower face. Popular fillers include JUVÉDERM®, Restylane®, Sculptra®, RADIESSE®, and Bellafill®. To correct signs of aging in the mouth and nose area, cheeks, and lips, regular treatments are recommended for long-term anti-aging maintenance.
- Skin Peels: Skin peels are specially formulated chemical treatments that remove the damaged, outer surface layer of skin so that the newer, healthier skin is visible. A customized skin peel can correct fine lines, wrinkles, age spots, rough skin texture, and more.
- Skin Resurfacing: Fraxel®, alexandrite, and CO2 lasers heat and remove the outer layer of skin, resolving textural irregularities, fine lines, wrinkles, age spots, and skin laxity. The treatment stimulates collagen renewal and leads to smoother, tighter, and more evenly toned skin.
- HydraFacial MD: A deep cleansing and moisturizing skin treatment, HydraFacial MD provides a variety of anti-aging benefits. With a combination of cleansing, exfoliating, hydrating, and protecting, HydraFacial offers essential rejuvenation to keep skin looking and feeling young and healthy. This treatment is especially beneficial in replenishing, smoothing out fine lines and wrinkles, minimizing age spots, improving skin quality, firming the skin, and providing essential nutrients for a healthy, vibrant complexion.
- Microneedling: Microneedling offers cutting-edge technology to repair and restore aging skin. This treatment can smooth out fine lines, wrinkles, and textural irregularities, and it can also stimulate skin-firming collagen and restore skin tone. Microneedling treatments have minimal downtime and are safe for use with all skin types.
- PRP: Platelet-rich plasma or PRP uses the body’s own healing capabilities to counteract the effects of aging. Treatment begins with a simple blood draw from which a concentrate of plasma protein is extracted and centrifuged to isolate the PRP. The PRP is then injected into the target area to enhance healing. Some of the anti-aging effects of PRP include cellular repair, tissue regeneration, and increased collagen to promote healthier skin tissue. As a result, PRP can correct signs of aging such as fine lines and wrinkles, deep creases, sagging skin, and dry, thinning skin.