CO2 Laser Resurfacing
CO2 fractional laser resurfacing offers fantastic facial skin rejuvenation for skin that has been damaged by aging, sun exposure, and environmental toxins. By stimulating skin rejuvenation, CO2 laser treatment can minimize wrinkles, discoloration, and scars to give your skin a smoother, tighter, healthier, and more youthful appearance.
CO2 Laser Treatment Benefits
At Kirsch Dermatology, we use the DEKA SmartXide2 DOT fractional CO2 laser system to provide microablative photorejuvenation. The benefits of this treatment include:
- Better Treatment Experience: DEKA SmartXide2 stimulates skin rejuvenation through only small areas of depth, rather than removing the entire skin surface like other laser systems. Patients receive the full benefits of the CO2 laser with less pain and fewer side effects.
- Shorter Recovery: Because the treatment itself does not remove the entire skin surface like other laser treatments, DEKA SmartXide2 laser treatment has a shorter recovery time. Skin redness and other minimal side effects usually last only a few days and can be disguised with makeup and cosmetics.
- Improved Skin Tone: DEKA SmartXide2 rejuvenates skin tone and helps lax skin to become tighter and firmer.
- Wrinkle Reduction: Many fine lines and wrinkles can be reduced or even eliminated with CO2 laser treatment.
- Effective Acne Scar Treatment: CO2 laser resurfacing can improve the appearance of both small and large acne scars.
- Minimizes Discoloration: Age spots (sun spots) and discoloration can also be minimized with the DEKA SmartXide2 laser.
- Softens Texture: CO2 fractional laser resurfacing softens skin texture to give it a more youthful look and feel.
- Stimulates Collagen: CO2 laser treatment with DEKA SmartXide2 stimulates collagen formation so that the skin can continue to renew itself over the coming weeks and months.
CO2 laser treatment is performed in our dermatology office. Before the treatment itself, the skin is thoroughly cleansed and a topical numbing cream is applied. The laser feels like a hot rubber band snap as it treats and stimulates the skin tissue. Treatment with DEKA SmartXide2 takes approximately 20 to 40 minutes, and the skin will continue to feel hot for approximately 30 to 60 minutes afterward. A topical cream will be applied immediately after the treatment to minimize any continuing discomfort.
It is recommended that you limit sun exposure and known skin irritants for several days after treatment. Minor side effects such as redness, itchiness, dryness, and mild swelling may occur over the first few days. As the skin heals, some mild flaking may also occur; this is the damaged skin being shed from the body to reveal the newer, healthier skin beneath. Depending on the area treated and settings used, full healing occurs within 4 to 14 days.
CO2 Laser Results
Results will begin to be noticeable within the first week and will continue to improve for up to 6 months. These results will be permanent, although natural aging and future sun exposure will continue to affect the skin. Some individuals may need up to 3 treatments to address more severe skin problems. Treatments may be repeated once per month and then annually for long-term skin rejuvenation. These maintenance treatments combined with proper at-home skin care can help you keep your skin healthy long term.