Neuromodulators and Fillers
As we age, the quality and tone of our skin changes. The skin develops wrinkles, becomes looser, and loses its natural elasticity and volume. These changes are especially visible in the face and can significantly affect your appearance, making you look much older than your age (or how you feel). With the strategic application of neuromodulators and fillers, we can counteract the effects of aging and give you a more youthful and vital appearance.
Neuromodulators are injectables that combat wrinkles by reducing muscular movements. The brow, forehead and areas around the eyes are particularly prone to developing fine lines and wrinkles over the years. Injecting a neuromodulator into these areas temporarily relaxes the muscles and blocks minor nerve impulses, thereby diminishing harsh lines without affecting your ability to make natural expressions. The effects of neuromodulators, though temporary, can dramatically revitalize the face. By getting these anti-wrinkles treatments every 4 months or so, you can maintain smooth skin long-term and even slow the development of future wrinkles.
What They Treat
- Fine lines and moderate to severe wrinkles in the upper face
- Wrinkles in the brow area
- Furrows between the brows
- Forehead wrinkles
- Crow’s feet wrinkles at the corners of the eyes
Types of Neuromodulators
- BOTOX® Cosmetic: BOTOX® Cosmetic is made from Clostridium Botulinum. Perhaps the most well-known facial injectable, BOTOX® Cosmetic is a highly popular choice for addressing wrinkles in the upper face. Results usually last 4 to 6 months.
- Dysport®: Dysport® is also derived from Clostridium Botulinum. It differs from BOTOX® Cosmetic slightly as the formula’s diffusive tendency makes it well-suited for the correction of either large wrinkles (like furrowed brows) or many small wrinkles (like crow’s feet). Results usually last 4 to 6 months.
Dermal fillers are facial injectables that combat wrinkles, sagging skin, and volume loss in the mid to lower face. Injecting a filler creates volume that lifts, recontours, smooths, and rejuvenates the skin. A wide variety of volumizing anti-wrinkle fillers are available to meet your needs. Depending on the filler, touch-up treatments from every few months to up to every 2 years may be recommended to keep your skin looking youthful.
What They Treat
- Fine lines and moderate to severe wrinkles in the mid to lower face
- Deep creases around the nose and mouth area
- Volume loss in the cheeks
- Thin or thinning lips
- Skin depressions (such as acne scars)
Types of Fillers
- Restylane®: Restylane® injectables are hyaluronic acid fillers. These injectables are often used to improve cheek contour, lip volume, smile and frown lines, hollows under the eyes, and deep nasolabial folds. Results last for up to 1 year.
- Juvéderm®: Juvéderm® injectables are hyaluronic acid fillers. Juvéderm® can correct many signs of skin aging, such as smile and frown lines, thinning lips, and sunken cheeks. Results can last up to 1 year.
- Sculptra® Aesthetic: Sculptra® Aesthetic is a poly-L-lactic acid filler. This injectable can correct scars, sunken cheeks, hollows under the eyes, and other areas of volume loss. Results may take a few months to appear, but they can last for 2 years.
Treatment and Recovery
Both neuromodulators and fillers are injectable treatments. A topical anesthetic may be administered first to minimize discomfort, after which the neuromodulator or filler will be injected into the target area. The treatment itself typically takes only a few minutes, and there is no downtime or recovery afterward. Some patients may experience bruising, as well as temporary redness or discomfort which should subside within 1 to 2 days. For most treatments, the results are visible within a few hours to a few days after the treatment.