Next Generation PRP Services
The human body has an incredible capacity to heal itself. One of the body’s natural healing tools is platelets, which are components in the blood that play an important role in repairing damaged tissues. Using the advanced medical technology of SELPHYL® Science, we can use concentrated platelets (commonly called platelet-rich plasma, or PRP) to enhance the body’s natural healing capacity. These platelets can provide excellent treatment for hair loss and many signs of skin aging.
Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) is a concentrate of plasma protein taken from human blood. Put simply, a sample of blood is extracted and then centrifuged to isolate the platelet-rich plasma from the blood cells. The concentrated PRP can then be injected directly into a target area of the body to promote greater healing capacity in that area.
PRP is used to treat a variety of health concerns because of its high concentration of platelets. These platelets are a reservoir of growth factors, which promote cell growth, wound repair, and collagen production. Growth factors found in platelets include:
- PDGF (Platelet-Derived Growth Factor) for cell growth, collagen production, and generation and repair of blood vessels
- FGF (Fibroblast Growth Factor) for cell growth, collagen production, and tissue repair
- TGF - β (Transforming Growth Factor Beta) for wound healing, growth and generation of epithelial cells (which protect the skin and other organs from external damage), and growth and generation of vascular endothelial cells (which protect blood vessels and play a critical role in regulating blood flow and immune response)
- IGF (Insulin Growth Factor) for regulation of cell growth
- KGF (Keratinocyte Growth Factor) for growth of keratinocytes (important skin cells that are essential for skin repair)
- EGF (Epithelial Growth Factor) for wound healing, new blood vessel formation, and epithelial cell growth (cells that protect the skin and other organs from external damage)
- VEGF (Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor) for wound healing and new blood vessel formation
PRP treatments are considered very safe. Because the PRP is taken from the patient’s own body, using it for treatment poses no risk of allergic reaction. Treatment risks are minimal, and the potential results when used as treatment for various dermatological concerns are highly encouraging.
The SELPHYL® System: Next Generation PRP for Next Generation Results
The technology of the SELPHYL® System allows us to take PRP to the next level. With a controlled and effective process that removes virtually all contaminating cells, SELPHYL® yields the newest generation of PRP: PRFM (Platelet-Rich Fibrin Matrix). PRFM creates a scaffold at the infusion site that protects and preserves the platelets, allows for sustained growth factor release, and serves as a reservoir for regenerative signaling.
Harvesting the PRFM begins with a quick blood draw from the patient, after which the blood is placed in a vacuum collection tube containing a proprietary design with cell separator gel. Next, the blood sample is centrifuged for six minutes to separate the plasma and blood cells above and below the gel. The platelet-rich plasma is transferred through a closed system to a second tube containing a small amount of calcium chloride, which causes fibrin polymerization to occur. After approximately 20 minutes, it forms into PRFM, which is then ready for use in treatment.
PRP Dermatology Treatments
PRP for Hair Loss
Rich in growth factors, PRP can help to stimulate hair regrowth for those who have experienced hair loss on the scalp. This treatment is especially beneficial for individuals with early hair loss. Using the SELPHYL® system, patients can receive multiple treatments of PRP for hair loss to maximize their potential results.
PRP for Skin Rejuvenation
Because PRP promotes cellular growth and regeneration of healthy tissues, it is an excellent resource for treating signs of skin aging and skin damage. It also stimulates the formation of collagen, which is abundant in healthy, youthful skin but diminishes as you age. One of the most popular ways to use PRP is for facial rejuvenation (“vampire facial”).
PRP for skin rejuvenation can treat:
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Deep lines or creases
- Sagging skin
- Uneven skin tone or complexion
- Acne scars
- Dry, crepey, or thin skin
Each treatment is performed quickly in real time, as the SELPHYL® System needs only approximately 25 to 30 minutes to fully isolate and prepare your PRFM for reinjection. Treatments have no downtime and can yield excellent, natural-looking results.