Sun protection is crucial for preventing early signs of skin aging and skin cancer. Harmful UVA and UVB rays are known to cause damage to the skin cells beyond that of a simple sunburn. Proper sun care can allow you to enjoy time outside without risking your well-being and your skin’s youthful appearance. At Kirsch Dermatology, we recommend a combination of in-office skin treatments and at-home sun care to guard against sun damage.
Common Signs of Photoaging
Sun damage may lead to:
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Age spots (also called sun spots or liver spots)
- Loss of skin elasticity (weak skin tone)
- Broken capillaries (spider veins), especially around the nose and upper chest
- Redness and general blotchiness
- Rough skin texture
- Actinic keratoses (precancerous skin lesions)
- Skin cancer
Dermatology Sun Care Treatments
A variety of treatments can slow and even reverse the effects of sun damage on the skin. With attentive care and proper treatment, you can keep your skin healthy, youthful, and rejuvenated. Sun care treatments at our dermatology practice include:
- HydraFacial MD: HydraFacial MD offers a quick, relaxing in-office treatment that addresses a wide range of skin concerns, including sun spots, redness, dry texture, fine lines, wrinkles, and many other signs of sun damage.
- Laser Skin Resurfacing: Fraxel®, alexandrite, and CO2 lasers heat and remove the outer layer of skin, resolving textural irregularities, fine lines, wrinkles, sun spots, skin laxity, redness, and even broken capillaries. The treatment stimulates collagen renewal and leads to smoother, tighter, and more evenly toned skin.
- Skin Peels: Skin peels are specially formulated chemical treatments that remove the damaged, outer surface layer of skin so that the newer, healthier skin is visible. A customized skin peel can correct fine lines, wrinkles, age spots, rough skin texture, and other signs of sun damage.
- Topical Medications: When appropriate, we can prescribe topical retinoids to even out skin tone, reduce fine lines, and address roughness caused by sun aging.
- Skin Cancer Screenings and Treatment: Because sun exposure is known to cause skin cancer, it is especially important to get regular skin cancer screenings at least once per year. If any precancerous skin lesions (actinic keratoses) or skin cancer lesions are discovered, we can provide treatment to remove the abnormal skin tissue. Treatments for skin cancer include cryotherapy, electrodessication and curettage, and surgical excision with intraoperative frozen sections.
At-Home Sun Care Products
Using the right skin cancer products at home will go a long way toward protecting your skin from sun damage and rejuvenating sun-damaged skin. Our recommendations on quality sun care products include:
Jane Iredale Powder-Me SPF® 30 Dry Sunscreen: A weightless, dry, broad-spectrum sunscreen for face, body, and scalp in a refillable flow-through vegan brush.
Alastin Hydratint Pro Mineral Sunscreen SPF 36: A daily sunscreen that protects skin from harmful UVA/UVB rays and shields against environmental pollution.
EltaMD UV Lip Balm Broad-Spectrum SPF 36: A creamy, long-lasting moisturizing sunscreen that rejuvenates and protects the lips.
EltaMD UV Restore Broad-Spectrum SPF 40: A daily mineral sunscreen that improves and revitalizes sun-damaged skin. For all skin types. (Tinted version provides a healthy, even glow for all skin tones.)
EltaMD UV Clear Broad-Spectrum SPF 46: An oil-free facial sunscreen that protects sensitive skin types prone to discoloration, rosacea, and acne. (Tinted version provides a healthy, even glow for all skin tones.)
EltaMD UV Lotion Broad-Spectrum SPF 30+: A daily moisturizing broad-spectrum sunscreen for the body that is perfect for the whole family.
EltaMD UV Aero Broad-Spectrum SPF 45: Sheer but sure sun protection, this spray sunscreen makes it easy to protect hard-to-reach places.
EltaMD UV Active Broad-Spectrum SPF 50+: An active broad-spectrum sunscreen specially formulated for active lifestyles.
La Roche-Posay Anthelios Mineral Zinc Oxide Sunscreen for Face SPF 50: A daily sunscreen that provides broad-spectrum protection from free radicals. (Tinted version provides a healthy, even glow for all skin tones.)
SkinCeuticals Physical Fusion UV Defense SPF 50: A weightless, fluid tinted sunscreen that provides effective broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection and increases skin’s resistance to UV-induced stress.